Sunday 21 December 2014

Adventures in: NYC Day Six.

In less than 12 hours we will be flying over the Atlantic back to normality.

Within 24 hours New York felt like home, I would do pretty much anything to not have to leave today. I didn't want to waste the few hours we had left but packing took way longer than I thought. By the time we had checked out it was already midday! Mum and dad kindly waited in the long queue to store our baggage, so that I could run around and try and fit all the things we'd missed in the two hours we had spare.

First, I took the subway down to the World Trade Centre. We have been putting it off all week only because by the time we had done all the other things we wanted to do we had lost the sunlight. As I walked up the stairs out of the subway I noticed something had changed... It was snowing!! For the entire walk down to the World Trade Centre I had the biggest grin on my face, all I really wanted this holiday was for it to snow.



The World Trade Centre is not a sight to rush, I took a slow, somber walk around the North pool. Despite the thousands of tourists and family member that surrounded me the pool felt like a ghost town. With only the sounds of the odd camera shutter.
On my journeys to and from the subway I circled the new, One World Trade Centre. It's quite spectacular, when you are right underneath it and look up it looks like it continues into the heavens.
I took the subway ride up to Central Park to come back to reality and headed out to find the Gapstow bridge. You know that one from Home Alone 2. (If you can't tell it's one of my my favourite Christmas films. I felt like a local power walking up Fifth, weaving through slow walking tourists. I entered Central Park on the 59th street entrance and there it was, definitely looks better in the movie when there aren't any tourists. I'm glad I managed to fit it in though.



After basically running to Lexington I had less than half an hour to get to Grand Central and get back to the hotel. I hopped on a 6 downtown and made it to Grand Central with just enough time to have a quick look around. It was crazy busy but worth visiting, if I ever wanted to come for decent photos I'd go back at night. With 10 minutes to get back to the hotel jumped on a 7 back to Times Square.

Before we headed to the airport we went back to Southern Hospitality for a late lunch, but the wait was over 30 minutes. So we nipped across the street to 5napkin where the wait was only 15. I had chicken and waffles again, I don't know what it is about American chicken, I love it!
The duty fee at Newark international is pretty shit, barely any selection but I did manage to pick up my moisturiser at less than half price!



The plane back to Heathrow was newer than the one we flew out on, even economy felt almost spacious that was until the girl in front of me put her chair all the way back. That ruined my plans of editing the weeks footage on the plane.
To pass the time I watched Lucy, divergent and listened to the new(ish) Slash album. I'm so glad we got a newer plane, the TVs were so much better.

I'm currently sat in Heathrow with a Starbucks and a packet of pro plus. Now all I want is my warm bed and binge watch all the shows I've missed.

If you couldn't tell I loved New York and I'm already planning my next trip. Although, next time I'm flying premium.

Until next time.
R x

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik